Friday, March 30, 2007

Theological Words

So I met with an assistant professor today from one of the local universities. He is translating a history text in to Turkish. His English is nearly perfect so our conversation was almost entirely in English. My Turkish is a bit like a 5-year old's, except that I know some street slang and some theological words. Quite scary, if you think about it. I think I've progressed from the level of stupid foreigner to crazy foreigner.

Anyway this man whose name roughly translates to Mr. Hardworking, is looking for Turkish definitions to words and phrases like the following:
  • transubstantiation vs. constubstantiation
  • ex opere operatum
  • "Pilgrimage of Grace"
  • "the atoning power of X"
  • God's saving power
  • Eucharist
  • the concept of confessionalization
  • Sola Fide, Sola Gratia, Sola Scriptura
  • dispensation
  • Evangelical vs. Reformed
  • redemptive grace
  • "God-given calling"
  • "jurisdiction of bishops"
  • Confraternities dedicated to the rosary
  • and my personal favorite..... penitential flagellation

When I told my business partners that I accomplished the last one every time I felt like I had to come and sit in a closed room at the office with them, they just stared at me through the fumes. ( Some of you are probably staring at this screen right now wondering what in the world I'm talking about. Others of you are rolling on the floor laughing. [Hint: mispronunciation of flagellation.])

I have to give credit where credit is due. One of our employees has studied a great deal about this and whereas my language is that of a 5-year old Turk; her Turkish is that of a 26-year old Turk (what with being one and all). My old friend Jay and his writings have unwittingly encouraged me to be more balanced in my portrayal of Reformation Period history, as well. I no longer narrow the entire reason for the Reformation down to the quip "When the coin in coffer rings, the soul from Purgatory springs."

The meeting went quite will. I was able to give him adequate translations and explanations of the words he was looking for. At the same time, I was able to share with him about what it means to be a true follower of Christ. It seemed as though he was truly interested when a tear appeared to be forming in his eye. Unfortunately the jaded side of me thinks he may have been suppressing a yawn. God knows what's going on in this man's head and heart. I believe we will talk about these things again.

2 comments:

Gina said...

It took me a minute...then MY co-workers looked at me wondering why I was laughing. =)

Does is seem odd that those in other countries are more open to listening about our faith, than those in our OWN country? Do you think they listen as a 'courtesy' but have no intent of actually thinking about it? Yes, only God knows the hearts of men.

Amy said...

What's that odor?