Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Tracking Towards the Hole

I've just returned from an extended weekend on the South Coast. Some of the guys and I have made a habit of playing golf on this same course, once each year, for the last four years. We play so much golf that we get sick of it and don't feel the need to play again for another year. (Besides, we can't afford to play more than that.)

For about $80, and assuming that the course is not too crowded with Northern Europeans, we are able to play 36+ holes of golf a day. We played 72 holes in two days. We would've played another day but I had to put the kabosh on that plan. I wasn't prepared to follow another 2 rounds of golf with an 8 hour drive home. Besides, "it's my party, and I'll cry if I want to."



Our scores were as magnificent as the scenery around us. (I'll let you determine what that means.) The mountains you see below are the ones that Paul, Barnabas, and John Mark had to pass in order to get to Pisidian Antioch, Iconium, etc. I have renewed my appreciation for what they had to do to accomplish His call on their lives. I also feel as though I can understand why John Mark gave up half way through. Hauling around a set of golf clubs over mostly flat land was difficult enough. I can't imagine how difficult it would have been to haul that weight over those rocky mountains.



Now, back to the golf. As you can see my roommate in the hostel we stayed in had his own difficulties on the course. Like another famous roommate from the movies, I'll refer to him as "Spike." He bears an uncanny resemblance....



In this country there is not a lot of wildlife. However, on the golf course we were able to see dozens of lizards, toroises, birds, and both squirrels (I think they had them imported from Cyprus). Also, about the only thing truly tracking towards the hole was this line of caterpillars. I had never seen anything like it. Yes, that is approximately 30 of them moving from the fringe, across the green, and towards the pin. This was by far the best SHOT OF THE DAY!

1 comment:

Gina said...

By golly, those ARE caterpillars!! What a weird sight.....at first I thought it was a gopher trail.